Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Let Freedom Ring 'Cause This One's For The Girls

Well, needless to say it's been awhile...

In honor of election day and all the women who have gone before me to give me a voice in the government, I thought of Martina McBride's heartbreaking hit, "Independence Day." Martina has always been an advocate for women's issues, most especially domestic abuse, and I felt that the patriotic setting of this video was especially timely given all the political frenzy going down all over the country today. Also, just reminder that women have endured much before us to give us freedom as women to exercise our voice politically as well as in the home.


Since I couldn't bring myself to make my return to blogging on such a depressing note, here is another, significantly more uplifting, Martina song, "Love's The Only House:"


And THIS is why I love country music, people.

It's good to be back.  Hopefully it won't be another eight months before my next post. ;) Get out there and vote ladies and if you aren't registered this time, make sure you are for the next election, because believe it or not, YOUR VOICE MATTERS.  Whatever you believe, whoever you support, make sure to let the world know it, because that is your right!  It took me a very long time to truly appreciate this, because given that you may not like any of the candidates or just dislike politics in general, you may be tempted to ignore it all together.  I understand wholeheartedly this position and have been there myself, but at the end of the day, it really is important.

It also doesn't end here.  Just because the election will be over tomorrow, there are decisions being made every day on your behalf --- women's health care in Texas has been exploding lately with controversy and I admit, until quite recently, I was not aware or informed. 

Here is the link to a great article that ran in the August 2012 issue of Texas Monthly: http://www.texasmonthly.com/preview/2012-08-01/feature2. Unfortunately, you have to register to read (although it appears free) and I cannot seem to find the full article anywhere, but this will at least give you a taste/good source for some current Texas happenings within women's health care. 

Oops! Just kidding, I'm not actually done using Martina's music.  Here is "This One's For The Girls:" 



We are women, hear us roar.

RAWRRRRRRR (see?),
Kristin


No comments:

Post a Comment