Monday, February 6, 2012

R.I.P. Etta James

 Last week on January 20, 2012, the world said goodbye to a beautiful woman of music, the lovely Etta James, at the young age of 73.  Etta was most known for her hit, "At Last," but gave the world so much more than that.

I'll never forget the first time I started listening to Etta James.  To be honest, I can't for the life of me remember how I got the CD or why, but whatever the reason, I decided to take it with me on a summer trip to Thailand following my senior year of high school!  I listened to that CD the majority of the trip and for that reason, I will always have an extra soft spot in my heart for the music of Etta James.  It could not have stood more in contrast to my surroundings at the time, but something about her vocals fit perfectly with my experience. There was something so timeless and magical about her voice.  She reached into my soul and gripped it, in the best possible way of course. Every time I hear Etta James, I remember the countless hours spent driving through back roads of Thailand in a tiny van and just looking out the window feeling so at peace. For that few weeks alone, I am so glad to have known Miss Etta James.

Below is a video of Etta James' hit "Stormy Weather," my personal favorite of her songs. Enjoy!


XOXO,
Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment