Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Record Collecting for Girls by Courtney E. Smith


I was wandering around Book People and found this book recommended by a staff member in the music section.  Given that I collect vinyls, I figured this would be the perfect Christmas break read!  So far, I'm LOVING it.  Check out a few excerpts below!

"So, I've always empathized with women who want to play in a band, and I'm doubly impressed by ladies who manage to pull together an all-girl band.  It sounds simple, but practically speaking, it means finding a group of women who've braved the music-store guys who end to think any female who wanders in is looking for a clarinet or is just someone's girlfriend, women who possess the drive and wherewithal to pursue the very unglamorous lifestyle of a touring musician, women who have a passion for music that is so all-consuming that they want to make it their life in spite of having very few female role models for inspiration.  Oh, and then once they form a band, they all have to get along.  And they'll have to confound the expectations of their male road crew, who will assume they can't play."

CAN I GET AN AMEN?!  I can't tell you how many times I've had to nearly throw something at Guitar Center employees to get them to notice me. 

"Girl bands have gone quiet for the time being, but I keep hoping for a new set of idols who will convince the next generation of girls to buck the stereotypes and pick drums over the clarinet."

Any takers on the whole female band thing?  I'm down! :)

XOXO,
Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment