Monday, January 9, 2012

Fixing You

I don't know whether it's the approaching Valentine's Day that's got me feeling so lovey-dovey tonight (yes, the red and pink has ALREADY invaded the stores) or something else entirely, but I feel like highlighting two very special performances of the same song, "Fix You" by Coldplay.

For Christmas, I got the new Glee Volume 7 cd...so. stinking. excited.  Anyway, one of the songs, is the cast's rendition of Coldplay's "Fix You."  Driving back to school, I found myself listening to the song over and over, and it reminded me of a stunning performance on So You Think You Can Dance that used the same song a few years ago.  For a little bit of background, the piece was inspired by cancer survivors and the desire of a loved one to "fix" them.  It's a beautiful piece and I think you will enjoy it.


Now back to Glee!  In this episode, Will sings this song to Emma after a particular rough visit with her parents that causes her OCD to flare up.  In an extremely moving gesture, Will sits down next to Emma to engage in her ritual with her.  He realizes for now, he can't make her pain go away, but he can be there with her.  As an OCD sufferer, this moment was particularly moving to me.  Isn't that what we all want after all?  To find that one person who will JOIN us in our pain?  The writer's of Glee have done a fantastic job with Emma's character and I hope you will be as moved by this scene as I was.


Lately I have found the desire to fix situations incredibly strong.  I want to take on the pain of my loved ones away and spare them from feeling it.  If you're like me and you've ever had this tendency, you understand it can be a devastating one.  Ultimately, you cannot take someone else's pain away and it would be unhealthy to do so.  But at the same time, I think the desire to do this for people we love is truly one of the most beautiful aspects of humanity.

XOXO,
Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment