Monday, January 9, 2012

Screw Perfect

Hello all!  I owe this post to Glee.  In one of the recent episodes, "I Kissed A Girl," Glee club members work to convince Santana that being a lesbian is nothing to be ashamed of and that they will have her back no matter what.  The assignment for the week is to sing songs written by ladies, and for the ladies! Woohoo! 

Needless to say each song in this episode could get a blog post shout out, but the first song, sung by characters Kurt and Blaine, really touched me.  The song is "F**kin' Perfect (Perfect)" by P!nk.  I had heard it before, but when they sang it on the show to Santana I really paid attention to the words.  Here is the best video I could find of the scene:

 

Naturally, after seeing this episode, I was dying to look up P!nk's original version.  I have pretty much had it on repeat since then.  I have included the video below for your viewing and listening pleasure!

WARNING: This video/song contains expletives, images of sex and self harming, so use your own discretion before you view.

"F**kin' Perfect" by P!nk



I don't know what it is about this song exactly that gets me so fired up, but all I have to say is AMEN SISTA!  I gathered some statistics from the web on suicide and depression that I bet a lot of you will find pretty shocking:
  • In 2007, suicide was the third leading cause of death for young people ages 15 to 24 (National Institute of Mental Health website)
  • The top 10 leading causes of death in the United States in 2007 for adults ages 18 to 65 shows suicide is the 4th leading cause of death in the United States for adults in this age range, surpassing other causes including diabetes, stroke, and homicide. The data are based on death certificate information from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC’s) National Vital Statistics System. (http://www.nimh.nih.gov/statistics/3AGES1865.shtml; NIMH website) 
  • Depression will be the second largest killer after heart disease by 2020 -- and studies show depression is a contributory factor to fatal coronary disease. (http://www.upliftprogram.com/depression_stats.html#3; WHO report on mental illness released October 4, 2001. Health news stories: Depression Link to Heart Disease, Hostility, Depression May Boost Heart Disease)

It's hard to watch P!nk's video and not want to cringe and look away. The thing is, we can't look away, because this stuff is happening around us all of the time...right now...this second.  Clearly, looking at these statistics, this is not something that is a "small group" of people.  Don't you ever wonder why we live in such an unhappy world?  Doesn't it bother anyone else?  We just accept it, saying it's "how it is," but is it really how things are supposed to be?


I say no.  I say we change things.  And for God's sake people, open up!  Stop hiding your heart and pretending you don't feel, because we all do.  Love those around you even though you might get totally broken in the process.  And most importantly "pretty, pretty please don't you ever feel like you're less than perfect!" LOVE YOURSELF!


 I love that she ends the video in a positive way, because so often we don't see happy endings in cases like these.  I love P!nk for bringing this beautiful song and music video to the world. Mad props, girl!


Okay, if you still aren't convinced, here's the deal: I fail at this daily.  I realized writing a blog about empowering/empowered women and praising their awesomeness, I wasn't walking the walk myself.  I'm not saying this will go perfectly (haha...get it?), but I am going to make a pledge here and now to all of you lovely readers to make a change in my life.  I'm sick and tired of letting how a guy treats me bring me down.  And I'm done tearing myself down in the process.  I deserve to be treated the absolute BEST, and you do too.  Let's not give up on that...okay?


Whatever it is for you...image, sexuality, relationships, broken body...figure it out and think about making a change.  None of us are perfect and we wouldn't want to be.  Maybe you should try hanging a picture crooked or misspelling a word on your next assignment...it's kind of a rush.  Relish in your imperfections!!


I dare you. ;)


XOXO,
Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment