Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Girl Has Got The Blues

Sept. 14, 2011---A Night with Ana Popovic

Meet the female Stevie Ray Vaughn of our generation, Ana Popovic.  Ana is a Serbian blues guitarist and singer with a band that hails from Amsterdam...so how on earth did we get lucky enough to hear this amazing lady?  No clue, but I am oh so glad!

Not really sure what to expect, I bought myself a ticket and headed over to Antone's on a school night to hear this blues guitar player wail and boy did she EVER! Today we are literally swimming in a sea of female pop artists and singer-songwriters, but where are the guitar players?  And I'm not just talking women who play guitar in the background, but rather women who are the main event.  A woman to rival the Jimi Hendrix-es and Stevie Ray Vaughn-s of the 70s.  Well, folks, I think I found her!

While Ana is not the strongest of female vocalists, she can play the guitar like I've never seen or heard a woman play one before!  Music aside, however, I think the thing I most enjoyed about her "package" overall was her outfit.  So often, women who play guitar seriously (too much like men) or who sing "rough" like men (Janis Joplin), are stereotyped and labeled. 

To survive in the "man's world" of the guitar, women usually attempt to appear "tough."  They want to hold their own with their male counterparts by blending in as much as possible.  What I loved so much about Ana Popovic is her complete refusal to blend in the slightest.  When she came strutting out to the stage in her stiletto heels and tight, sparkly mini-dress, she made no effort to hide her femininity...and I was in awe!  Her outfit alone screamed, "I'm a woman and I'm not afraid to show it.  I'm also incredible at the guitar...and I'm going to do it all in heels!" (She played for at least three hours standing the entire show.)

This chick is rockin' and rollin' all the way into my top favorite ladies in music right now!

  

XOXO,
Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment