Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Xtina Power

So I simply could NOT do a blog dedicated to badass women in music and not do a post on one of my idols, Christina Aguilera.  From her "Genie in a Bottle" days to her newest album "Bionic," clearly Christina has gone through quite the image makeover...over...and over again.  We have seen many sides to Christina.  She has been controversial, sexual, evocative, powerful, vulnerable, naked, terrifying, and sweet (just to name a few).  Fortunately, one of the things about Christina that has never changed is her incredible vocal ability and her dedication to sing and perform music that showcases it.  My personal favorite of Christina's entire body of work thus far is definitely her "Back to Basics" album released in 2006.  This album called upon some of the greatest jazz musicians and singers of all time for inspiration, such as Etta James.  The album has a 1920s/1930s feel about it that, coupled with Christina's voice, really takes you back in time.  When Christina's latest album, "Bionic,"was released, and the album contained techno-heavy singles, I was worried.  While have not yet had the chance to make it through the whole album yet, I am pleased to say that I appreciate Christina's exploration.  It is nice to hear her try some different styles, but I have to say, my favorites are still her vocally-stunning ballads.  My favorite is "You Lost Me" and I have included the video below for your listening and viewing pleasure!





After a long career that spans nearly her entire lifetime, Xtina is proving that she has still got it!  With all of the lip synch-ers out there and artists using auto-tuning to improve their pitch control, it is so encouraging to see a woman as strong and powerful as Christina displaying true artistry and talent.  You go girl!


XOXO,
Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment