Thursday, November 10, 2011

Warming Up to the Mama Monster?

I have been notoriously crititical of Lady Gaga's image.  She has a fabulous voice and I have never questioned her talent, but I have often taken issue with her lack of "genuine-ness."  If she is always wearing a mask, the audience never really gets to know her as a human being.  Why does she make the art she does?  Why does she feel the way she does about certain issues?  While her costumes and other oddities certainly do a lot to push back at social norms and raise awareness for certain issues, I feel that a lot is lost when no one really knows who YOU are.

Because of this, I decided to go back and do a little research on Stefanie Germanotta, before the Gaga was born.  I found this video from her days at NYU and, while you can definitely see the early makings of Mama Monster, the performances are so stripped down.  It's just her, the piano, and her amazing set of pipes. 


Since I first saw that video, I've been lamenting the creation of Lady Gaga and what appeared to be the loss of Stefanie Germanotta...that is until this week!  I heard her song "You and I" and saw the accompanying video this week and immediately saw something I liked.  It's a much different sound for her, a little more rock 'n roll, and the song really showcases her voice.  I have to say, for the first time, I can actually figure out what the song is about, unlike many of her songs where no one can seem to make sense of the lyrics.  The song is a powerful love ballad rumored to be about her former boyfriend/lover from Nebraska.  The video was shot in Nebraska, the home state of the object of her affection both in the song and in her life.  Finally, I feel like Lady Gaga is one of us!  I think this new sound and visual combination is wonderful!  In her video, Lady Gaga gets to still be Lady Gaga, but it's not so out there that I get completely lost.  To me, the art is much more powerful, because I have something to hold on to and relate to as a listener.  Check out the video below!

 

I'm doing my best to fight it, but if she keeps this up, I may have to join her army of Little Monsters after all. ;)

XOXO,
Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment